My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Vintage Living

I'm posting the last photos of Ardenwood in Fremont, California, where we visited in May. I culled the numerous photos I took and decided too many were just repetitious but these few will strike your fancy I believe.

Would you believe they had a porcelain "baby" tub in this house? Yessssss. It was for the bathing of infants and young children. It was up high off the floor for the ease of the mother or nanny.

This gives you a little better perspective of it. I thought that was a darling idea and very practical.

I would give much to have a butler's pantry like this. Heck, I'd just like my kitchen to be this big, have this much storage and the counter space!

My grandson, Adam, looking at this vintage stove and hot water heater.

The first house in the town to have a hot water heater. An ingenious design for its time.

I thought a few of you might like to see this old sink which is still in use today in this house. "Back to the future?" Yep. Many are now installing these kind of sinks in brand new homes.

Better view of the stove and hot water heater.

Hold me back here, chicks!! I'd love to have that old sewing machine and cabinet. Actually, I'd like the dress form also!

The docent who gave us the private tour actually played old phonograph records on this and they were wonderful—scratchy but wonderful!
~*~

Random Thought:

It is best to not pick your nose while hubby is driving because it could result in your finger ending up in your brain. (Personal experience!)

19 comments:

  1. So many of the old French cottages have sinks like that....and they are still used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sensational idea that infants bath was. Why don't we have them now? I know I always knelt beside the bath to bathe toddlers and would have loved one of those raised baths.
    Hugs ~ Kerryanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photos..but I don't see the old sink..and I love sinks..great baby tub too..:) and yeah I would love that kitchen to go with that huge pantry..bestill my heart..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pics. It is funny somethings they had back then we only wished we had them now. Thanks for sharing. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Connie what a neat old house.I love that the baby tub is so high off the floor.Now that would not be so bad on the back at all.I used to hate crunching over the tub to wash them.Love that kitchen sink and the stove.The hot water tank is neat too.Hugs,Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. J'adore the butler's pantry! Ohh...I would love to have one of those at my little Rose Cottage! It would be such a dream!

    Best,
    Debbykay at Rose Cottage Gardens and Farm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Connie, beautiful post, I love all the old fashioned stuff! Love that sewing room! Must have been a fun place to visit, your grandson is very handsome! Thanks for sharing!
    Bless you, Shirl
    Shirls Rose Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to invite you to my Birthday Party!
    It will be
    Tuesday 22-September!
    (please, take comfortable shoes, we will be dance)

    Have a wonderful day!
    ♥ Love & Blessings!

    Maria
    from Poland

    ReplyDelete
  9. So where was that tub when I had my babies! The old phonograph player - we have one, but it is in the attic gathering dust. I will have to bring it out for display.
    Also have an old sewing machine cabinet which I put my new machine into it. I love antiques but I have to know the history behind it, like who used it before me.
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Connie,

    Great photo's. I would so love that butler's pantry.

    hugs to you,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just loved that old kithen sink. I'm always splashing water on my wooden cupboards even when I'm careful. If I had a good old fashion sink like this then I wouldn't have to worry about my cupboards. I could just get on with the job and get it done. Nice tour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Connie,
    I enjoyed my visit through Ardenwood. Now if we had a baby bathtub like that we wouldn't break our backs trying to bathe them, would we? Thanks for the tip about nose picking! Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohh, LOVE that baby tub!!
    xoxo, Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ardenwood isnt far from where I live! Oddly tho Ive never been there....been around it tho. I love Fremont.....if you go to the Niles section it loaded with antique shops. You could spend all day there, especially if you have lunch at the tea room too. One of my fav places.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Connie,
    I am catching up with you and have enjoyed your posts. I used to live in Fremont and we would take our girls over to Ardenwood during Christmas, a must see all decorated.They even hold weddings there also they have a butterfly show in spring when all the butterfly's have hatched.. Your fabric board turned out great, I have been wanting to make one thank you for the step by step. I just might make one with my granddaughter next time she visits.
    Take care and enjoy your day,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that baby tub! The butlers pantry, well I have always wanted one and this is so pretty. Thanks for sharing Connie:>)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is my kind of home! I would love to move right in...do ya think they might notice? I can stand still for long periods of time so maybe I could blend in..like a prop..heehee..I am being silly! But, I love the sinks and the infant tub is ingenious!!! I so could have used one of those..I think we all could have! One for pets would be useful, too. Thanks for taking us along for the tour..I LOVED it!

    Hugs ~ Angie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, I too love that pantry and the baby tub is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I enjoyed this post so much, simpler is better!!! Thats why were all going back to these kitchens, and such. Good to hear from you Connie, I'm still reading your posts so talk to ya soon. Boy You have a lot going on since I saw you last. So creative! Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.