My life is to make everything around me beautiful.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Mill House Pond for Pink Saturday 1/29/2011

Happy Pink Saturday, my sweet chicks! Remember to visit with Beverly to view all the pink participants by clicking on the logo below.
*

So today let's visit another house in a magazine from 1972. As I've said earlier this week, I'm destashing all my files of photos I've saved through the years. So the only place I have them now is on my computer and Photobucket.

Introducing Mill Pond House. Yes, it's really by an old mill pond. The woman of this house had vision—and a loving and understanding hubby!—for to have painted it this gorgeous pink back almost 40 years ago in upstate New York was not common except in Southern California maybe. I lived there then so I should know. This lady was very innovative and courageous. But I'm certainly glad she was because it grabbed at my heart 40 years ago. When I first saw these pictures I actually gasped. I loved this house above all others back then. I still love it but as time comes and goes I've seen others that have touched my heart at least as much as this one.

It's a huge house with enough acreage that the owners have to have a little tractor to take care of the grounds.

This is the large family room off the back with 3 separate seating sections with 4 sofas. That doorway under the stairs opens to another little study with a mural painted by the husband's mother with her little dog.

It was the pink candy striped sofas that drew my attention immediately. As per a post this week, you can see I had a pink striped sofa but I had to get rid of it when we moved here 5 years ago. It broke my heart. I sold it to a family with many kids and I know she took the slipcover off of it immediately and probably threw it out. I was sick but nothing to be done about it. That slipcover cost me $800.00 about 25 years ago also and was in perfect condition. I almost cried.

This is an eating area off the back as you can see in the top photo. I lust for a room like this. Sigh...

A small library with an exquisite sofa and an indoor window seat with the same flowered cushions. There wasn't a photo of the red room beyond this one but somehow it fits what a formal living room would be I think because I see a beautiful fireplace in there.

To have a master bedroom this luxurious and big is a dream I'll never fulfill in this life.


Now, you didn't think I wouldn't show you the actual mill pond, did you? Here it is and it's adorable with this little guest cottage they had redone by Ralph Lauren. Very different from the style of the lady of the house, but exquisite. Sit, lunch and then swim.



Like me, she must love stripes!


See the owner's pink house in the background.

This photo is horrid but I put it in here to show you the little dam of water you can see out the window. Darling!

I apologize for the photos but they were scans of magazine photos I've had for 40 years tucked away and did get some abuse from me pulling them out and looking at them from time to time. If scanners had been invented back then I'm sure I would have saved them in a much better state but I'm just lucky I didn't throw them away until I scanned them this week to show you. They're now safe for the ages to come.
~*~

Now, I have a compelling video for y'all to watch. I'm just linking up to it here and won't put the video on for those of you (US!) who don't like them on blogs because it slows it down too much. I can guarantee this will lift your hearts. So without further ado, let's give a rousing cheer to our brave men and women who are fighting for our country, bloggers!!! Just click on th' Kiss and go for it. I guarantee you'll have tears in your eyes for joy.

Kiss
~*~

28 comments:

  1. What a house ,love the windows ,love the boat house ,love the blue and white china,oh did I say I love it!
    ~Sharon~

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'eve Connie ~ What a fabulous home. You captured everything so beautifully. I love homes like this to visit.

    I can imagine you were sick about the couch slip cover ...

    Happy PS weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly beautiful home! I especially love the fabric on that sofa in the library. And the garden looks like it's quite magnificent. Thanks so much for sharing this house with us!
    Happy Pink Saturday!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love that house! the pond! the little pond house! All that pink! how awesome. I would love to have painted our siding pink! that is a dream of mine. A pink house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful home they created back then. Gorgeous photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a gorgeous home, one I'd love to live in! I loved seeing the individual rooms. It looks "modern", even though it's 40 yrs old. I can see why you loved it and kept the magazine for all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Connieness! Oh, what a lovely pink house! I could live there and I think Mr. Precious is man enough to live in a pink house! :) I'm glad you saved your olden mags and now have been able to keep the pictures! I love seeing those houses and so many are just timeless.
    Oh, have a wonderful time with your Little Miss!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pink house is FABULOUS in so mnay ways. Have a super weekend and a fun Pink Saturday!

    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Pink Saturday Connie Sweetie...
    Another gorgeous share. I so enjoyed this one. This house is to dream about. I loved the gardens and the living room is so pretty. I caught that beautiful cream colored quilt with pink diamond shapes on it. That caught my eye immediately.

    Love the bedroom. So much space to dream about. It was beautiful. Loved the rose printed couches as well. Just beautiful.

    The little table set up for lunches on the water, how peaceful. Can you get any closer here on earth than that to God? Beautiful...

    Thank you for sharing sweet one. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful house. I loved every bit of it and the blue china, too. Thank goodness you didn't throw out those magazines; now we can all now enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! I think I inhaled my coffee sip into my lungs when that beautiful pink house popped up here on your page!!! I love it!!!! I'm really almost speechless...just WOW!!! Great post Connie, thank you for sharing it with us!! Happy Saturday Girlie!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Connie, this is a beautiful post. Love the pink striped sofa room - loved everything. Happy Pink Saturday,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1972 I was in high school. I love anything pink, so a pink house WOW! The Timmy doll was the grooms best friend that they sent me a picture of and I made it into a doll

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow fabulous inside and out!
    Thank you for sahring Connie.
    Happy Pink Saturday! ,
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was just fabulous, Connie! I loved every picture and every stripe and every flower and every bit of pink, and I really love those bird prints. I could move right in just as it is!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Breathtaking - I've been looking at striped sofas, funnily enough... just so fresh-looking. Very very tempting....

    Happy Pink Saturday, Connie! Way to go re the centering!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very curious where in upstate NY that house was/is. 40 years ago I was in my early 20's living just outside of Albany, NY. Awesome home for sure. Thank you for the video clip. My son is Air Force reserve now, was active for 6 years, prior to reserves. We owe the men and women in the Military our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG! Beautiful post thank you for sharing,HPS.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a divine house, just gorgeous! Happy Pink Saturday!

    Hugs'
    Catlyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just gorgeous and so timeless. I, too, wonder where that house is located in New York. I was living there as a child and would love to know the location. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi there Connie :) Oh wow, this house and grounds are just incredible ~ I would so want to live there!

    Wishing you a lovely & Happy Pink Saturday!

    Warmest hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Connie,
    Isn't that some house? The house is gorgeous and so is the setting....I loved the picture of the water running over the dam...I would live in that room!
    I, too, love stripes and have a little chair done up in pink stripes. It is a favorite of mine.

    I enjoyed, with tears, the Gene Simmons tribute to our troops....you look at those marvelous, brave faces and wonder how anyone, here in our country, can dishonor them with what they are doing for us! God Bless, Gene Simmons for being a true American!

    I fixed the link and thank you!
    Jil

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an amazing home! I think it's wonderful that you've had those magazine photos for over 40 years. . . AND I think it's amazing that the style and design have stood the test of time! I'd move into that place in a heart beat and not change a thing!

    I love that video of Gene Simmons, too. Thanks for sharing and HPS!!

    dana

    ReplyDelete
  24. OH SO COOL! Connie that is the most amazing house ever. Really. I'm just in awe.
    Happy Pink Saturday-

    ReplyDelete
  25. HELLO AND HAPPY PINK SATURDAY~OH WOW WHAT A MAGNIFICENT HOME :) LOVE THE ARCHED WINDOWS!! JUST BEAUTIFUL!

    XO~MARI

    ReplyDelete
  26. CONNIE, DEAR CONNIE, MY ANGEL OF PINK,
    THIS HOUSE IS SO STUNNING. WOULDN'T YOU HAVE JUST LOVED TO WALK THROUGH EVERY SINGLE ROOM AND SET ON THE DIFFERENT PIECES OF FURNITURE, WATCHING THE LIGHT BEAM THROUGH THE WINDOWS...I WOULD LOVE TO JUST STAY IN THE GUEST COTTAGE AS LONG AS SHE WOULD SEND DOWN THAT BEAUTIFUL CREAM COLORED QUILT WITH PINK DIAMONDS FOR ME TO SNUGGLE WITH.
    MY MIL AND FIL HAD A HOUSE, BEFORE THEY SOLD IT, THAT HAD A BEDROOM SIMILAR TO THIS BUT THERE WAS ONE HUGE WINDOW THAT RAN THE WHOLE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROOM...YOU COULD LAY IN BED AND WATCH EAGLES SOAR AND LAND IN THE TREES...IT WAS AWESOME. IT WAS ON A LAKE IN ARKANSAS. THEY HAD TO MOVE BACK TO OKLA BECAUSE OF THEIR AGE. THEY LIVE NEXT DOOR TO MY SIL....WE ALL LOVED THAT HOUSE BUT HE WOULD NEVER, REFERRING TO MY FIL, HAVE A PINK HOUSE.
    THANK YOU SOOOOO VERY MUCH FOR SHOWING THIS HOUSE. IT IS BEAUTIFUL.
    IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF THEY WENT BACK TO SEE HOW THIS BEAUTY LOOKED TODAY AND IF IT WAS STILL PINK.....AND/OR HOW IT HAD CHANGED
    I WOULD TURN IT INTO A RESPITE FOR MISSIONARIES, TO STAY WHEN THEY COME BACK TO AMERICA, UNTIL THEY KNOW WHAT GOD HAS CALLED THEM TO DO NEXT, AS MOST MISSIONARIES SELL EVERYTHING THEY OWN TO GO INTO THE MISSION FIELD.
    HAVE A SUGAR SWEET DAY
    HUGS
    SIMPLY DEBBIE

    ReplyDelete
  27. Every single speck of this house and grounds is just magnificent. Put together, it all spells
    M.O.N.E.Y.
    Just beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Connie, what a beautiful post. I really enjoyed the houses and all the decorating. Be safe and have a great time with the family. I look forward to hearing all about it when you return, Char

    ReplyDelete

Comments are so nice and I thank all of you that leave one for me.